

We planted watermelon again this year and boy do they take up a lot of space. Last time we planted them they rotted out before I picked them because I had no idea when to pick them. The plant grew about 6 melons. The first one I picked was way too early. It was just barely pink. I read from a friend on facebook that you pick them when the tendril closest to the melon turns brown and dies. I tried it and it worked! I picked it right after we got back from camping and even though I think it was a little late it still tasted pretty good. I don't know if I'll plant them again next year or not. They just take up too much space for not enough reward. (I know, I'm greedy) Plus the Costco ones are yummers!

1 comment:
Yummy. Watermelon is pretty much out of season here now. :( Way to grow a diverse garden!
I went to the store on Saturday and they were selling yellow watermelon. Instead of the inside being red, it was as yellow as pineapple. When I asked the produce man what it tasted like, he said, "It has a yellow flavor rather than a red flavor." Okay, that helped a ton- not!
Post a Comment